Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Rearranging

A large portion of my day was spent slightly rearranging and cleaning my room. I've actually been wanting to do this for a while, but what motivated me to do it now? Well, that is a bit of a story.

Last week I had an interview in Fontana, just a few minutes drive from Jon. So after the interview, I met up with my sleep deprived boyfriend for lunch. We hardly ever see each other during the week because of our schedules, but it was nice to see each other for a little lunch date in the during the week. While at lunch, Jon says that he has a surprise for me, but I have to promise that I won't be mad. I begin to be skeptical at this point because why would I be mad about a surprise? After promising, several times, that I would not be mad about the surprise, he explains that he is buying me a new TV.

So romantic, right? He then explains WHY he wants to get me this TV. On top of being a massive deal (40" Panasonic for $250, I guess that's hard to find), he says that it is for "selfish" reasons. I have a 22" TV in my room right now. I don't think it's THAT tiny, but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that. So he says that whenever he comes over, he can't see what we're watching. He NEEDS this TV for my room so that he can see when he's over. Then he says that whenever I get a teaching job and move out, it will make a great TV for my living room... and whenever he's able to move in with me (once he can afford to help his parents and move out) it can be the bedroom TV again and we'll NEED to upgrade to a 50" 3D TV in the living room.

Now, while he's telling me all of this, I'm just sitting there staring at him from across the table. I was laying my head in my hands, covering my mouth with my hands, trying as hard as I could to conceal how big my smile was getting with each thing he said. I'm not sure if I've said this before in my blogs or not, but Jon and I have talked about the future briefly. We haven't talked too much about it, but he said he does see us together for a very long time, and I know in my heart he is the man I want to (will) marry one day. So hearing him talk about a future where we live together just made me so excited. Maybe it's just a stereotype, but guys are supposedly afraid of commitment. Having him talk in such definitive, positive terms about a future together just made me so excited for what's to come.

About a month ago, my friend Summer chastised me for not giving Jon a "drawer". For my birthday, Jon forgot to pack enough clothes for the weekend, so we actually had to go shopping for him while he was here. Summer said that when her and Johnnie were dating, she gave him a drawer in her dresser, where he kept some back ups and she even bought some stuff for him just in case. I told Jon about this, and of course he laughed about. He even joked I could have his whole dresser because he doesn't really use it.

Fast forward to today. This TV that Jon bought me is being delivered tomorrow, and in preparation I have been trying to clean up my room. While I was cleaning I decided to rearrange some things. This was mostly furniture, but I also tried to straighten up my dresser and night stands. While doing this, I realized that I have a bunch of crap in one of my night stands that I never really use. It's mostly old cards and drum corps patches I never put on my jacket. So I packed that stuff up, put it in the closet, and decided that will be Jon's drawer. He doesn't have a ton of stuff here right now, but he does have a few things he forgot at my place: socks, cards against humanity, and a t-shirt he gave me to cuddle with  when I miss him (awwwww). I also decided to keep my scrapbook in there. I don't have a real scrapbook, but I found an unused photo album in the closet, and I have been keeping things from all my dates and trips with Jon in there. Like, I have the ticket from when we went to see The Hobbit on our first date. The map of Universal Studies from earlier that day. Tickets from various places we've been together. Little things that I'm too sentimental to part with. And on top of all of that, the night stand in question is on the side of the bed that Jon usually sleeps on, so it just works.

I'm super excited for this TV that already has a lot to live up to, and many expectations. Whether or not this TV will do all the things that Jon said will be seen in time. I can only hope that journey does happen, and hopefully soon. I'm an extremely impatient person (so much of this blog if evidence of that.) and I feel like waiting for this TV to get here is symbolic of me waiting for other things. I've been obsessively watching the UPS tracking to see when it will get here. I know it will get here eventually, but waiting is the hardest part. If that isn't a symbol for my life and waiting for what the future will bring, I don't know what is.

No comments: