Thursday, September 4, 2014

Doctor's Note

As a coach, I deal with a lot of doctor's notes. I get them from students all the time for different ailments and injuries. Latest was a girl who sprained her ankle during class, and the doctor wants her off of it for 6 weeks... she's already walking without a limp, so that is probably one note we won't follow completely. And I have had my fair share of doctor's notes in the past. I am notorious for getting injured easily, and the asthma was a big issue a lot during my performing days.

While I haven't had the need for a doctor's note in a long time, I think that I may actually need one.

Yesterday I went to the doctor's for what I assumed was a UTI (TMI, sorry), and while they were getting my vitals, they noticed how high my blood pressure was. They waited a few minutes, jokingly asking if I was nervous (I never like going to the doctor's), and took it again. Slightly lower, but still well above where it should be. So the doctor saw me for what I came in for, but also started talking to me about hypertension. I guess the last few times I've been to the doctors my blood pressure was elevated, but just borderline. This time it was 142/88. I guess anything over 140/90 is bad. And being that I'm only 27, it's not the greatest thing. The doctor talked to me about a few things and gave me a print out of some suggestions to help bring it down. Most of it talked about cutting sodium, limiting alcohol & caffeine, and more exercise. I have gained more weight than I care to admit, so this is a little bit of an incentive to be more proactive about losing it. Sodium limiting is much harder than I expected since there's so much of it in pretty much EVERYTHING. I really only drink a few beers on the weekend, so I'm thinking I'm probably ok there. I don't really drink during the week since 1) beer is expensive and 2) I thought limiting it to a few on the weekends would help reduce the beer belly I'm beginning to develop. I cut soda a while ago, but I do need to drink less coffee or switch to decaf.

Now, I keep trying to make myself feel somewhat better by reminding myself that I did drink a big pumpkin spice latte right before going to the doctors (for which I kinda hate myself), so that probably contributed to the high numbers. But one of the things that the doctor didn't really mention, but I think could be a factor is stress. I have a lot more stress right now than I feel like I've had in a long time. I've been trying my hardest to get a job and not found one yet, though having had 10 interviews this summer is somewhat encouraging. Money is super tight, and while my parents were able to help me out over the summer, they're not really able to help me out anymore, and I still barely make my bills. The biggest stressor is color guard. The students this year are the most challenging I've had to deal with. I'm not saying anything against the kids themselves, but they're retention is so bad. I have to reteach so much and they are barely able to even do their basics correctly. I love them to death, other than 1 bad apple, they have great attitudes and energy. It's just so frustrating not being able to progress as much as I would like, or as much as we need to. I have found myself actually losing my temper with the students. I try not to yell, I always hated that about my predecessor, but I've yelled several times already this year. While learning drill, I've had to walk away from the guard on the field and let the marching techs take over because I was so frustrated I knew I would just be yelling if I stayed there another minute. I'm feeling anxious because the band's money is the tightest it's ever been and the kids aren't turning in money for uniforms or fundraisers. They is my only consistent pay check and it may be nonexistent soon. It's so hard.

The only thing that really keeps me positive is knowing that at the end of the week I get to see my Jon. He's my biggest cheerleader when it comes to job stuff, always talking about "when" I get the job, not "if." He let's me vent and tells me not to apologize when I feel bad about venting. He really does make me feel so special and never really stresses me out (except for a few occasions when he was late to something, but that's me with most people haha).

I felt terrible over the weekend because I snapped at him for the first time. We didn't have a fight or anything, but I hit my funny bone (never actually funny) while trying to get into my purse and when he was sweetly trying to help, I snapped, "let me do it!" About 2 seconds later I was apologizing profusely and starting to cry because I felt so bad. Of course he said it was fine and that he knew I didn't mean anything bad. But still, the stress is starting to get to me.

Now, back to needing a doctor's note...

I've been musing lately that maybe it's time I be done coaching. I'm still really torn on the issue because color guard has been such an important part of my life for the last 13/14 years. And this is my 9th year coaching at the same school. That's crazy. I know very few people my age who've had the same job for 9 years. I feel like part of the reason I've done it as long as I have is because I thought it would get my foot in the door for a real teaching job at the school, and now that it seems that's probably not going to happen, I'm feeling apathetic. It's tough coaching and subbing at a school that won't give you a chance.

So I was thinking, maybe this hypertension thing is my ticket out? I don't know. Right now color guard is the biggest stress factor I have, other than money. I really would rather not quit, but at the same time it may be what I need. I've become burnt out, and the stress is actually kind of killing me. Maybe it's a sign that it's time. Now, of course I'm not blaming color guard on my high blood pressure. I just think it's a major factor. I'm also 25lbs heavier than I want to me, and probably eat way too much salt. So if I'm going to make changes in those areas of my life, maybe this is one I should change too... I just don't know. The last 2 weeks have been particularly stressful and I'm actually procrastinating before going to bed because I know just how stressful tomorrow will be (subbing then first football game, oh and getting some alterations to costumes that came out way wrong...).

So yeah. Should I have the doctor write me a note on this one? I just don't know...

No comments: