Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tripsy

Earlier today I was watching the show 19 Kids & Counting... on TLC with my dad. We were commenting on the differences in their lifestyle to our own and having some father-daughter bonding time. Then they showed just an exterior shot of the country side around wherever they were (somewhere in Arkansas, I honestly don't know where since this was probably my second time ever seeing the show). I mentioned to my dad that I'd love to go to the South again, for non-drum corps reasons, and not in the middle of the summer haha. My dad took a long road trip around the country when he was in his early 20's to commemorate the bicentennial, and had always told stories about how beautiful things were. He talked about how I should do it, and that I'd love it. Then he added this little bit, "You and Jon should go."(Admittedly, he said this after I mentioned Jon has family in the South. My dad said use visiting his family as an excuse for the road trip.)

This is now at least the second time that one of my parents has suggested an out-of-town trip Jon and I should take. Last week my mom was saying that we should go to Santa Maria for the Strawberry Festival. Not as extreme of a trip as say visiting Louisiana haha, but still something that would involve me and my boyfriend staying the night in a hotel together.

My parents tend to be traditional people. They have always instilled in us things like waiting until marriage to have sex or live together. (Well, I didn't really follow the first part, & I guess we'll see about the second.) But despite this, about a month or so into dating Jon, my mom suggested he should bring an overnight bag when he comes over. He was already staying until 4 or 5 in the morning as it was, and she figured it would be safer for him to just stay the night. Of course she said he should stay in my brother's room. And of course I pointed out that I have a fold out bed in my room and we have been "using" that when he comes over. We pulled out the bed the first weekend but have since given up the pretense since we figure my parents aren't really fooled, and they haven't said anything about it (yet).

I've since stayed at his house, we took a trip to San Diego for a night, and have spent countless nights at our friend's house after parties. I just booked the hotel for a joint birthday trip to Vegas in June. Since his birthday is May and mine is July (almost exactly 2 months apart to the day), and I couldn't find an open weekend near his birthday to plan a trip, he thought we should split the difference and do a trip to celebrate both of our birthdays. I recently read in some article (probably on Buzzfeed, or Cosmo, or something) that it is a good sign if a couple can travel together without getting into a fight. While San Diego has been the only "trip" we've taken so far, I feel like it's encouraging that we did not argue on that trip despite some mishaps that happened.

It is always kind of funny to me how things that should be normal adult dating things are a big deal to me. When you have parents who are more traditional, and you happen to live at home into your late 20s because the economy sucks and you couldn't afford your own place to save your life, it feels strange to to do "normal" things. Its a huge deal to me that my parents like Jon enough to suggest places for us to travel to, and that they don't freak out that he "basically lives here on the weekend." (Direct quote from my dad.) Especially for my dad to suggest going on an extended trip across the country, seems like a huge thing. This is like his way of saying his likes him, without actually having to say those words.

On Saturday we went to a friend's wedding. It was a Star Wars themed wedding and could not have been more entertaining. But the reason I bring that up here, as part of the ceremony, the officiant recited part of Oh, The Places You'll Go. Its exciting to think of trips that Jon and I will take together. Whether we will actually take the trips my parents suggested is up in the air, but the possibilities are exciting. And it's not just about the actually trips to different places that I'm talking about. I'm excited for the emotional trips we will take. The experiences we will share as a couple are like a journey. There will be bumps in the road and we may take some detours, but I'm excited to take that trip with him.

No comments: