Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Exciting Changes... Exciting changes....

So much has happened since the last time I actually sat down to write something on here. It's really crazy. In the last few months I: started to really love the place I worked, was given a pink slip, got to teach the boot camp hell that is summer school, flew across the Pacific ocean with my favorite person, visiting a beautiful place I never thought I would get to see, got see where both Jon's Dad and my Dad spent their late teens/early 20s, became another year closer to 30, went to almost 20(!!!) interviews, finally got a full-time teaching job that could (hopefully) last for the long haul, and sadly, I will soon be officially leaving my coaching job of nearly 10 years. The last 3-4 months have been so crazy. I feel like I have grown so much but I still feel so overwhelmed.

It's about 8:30pm right now... I only got home from work about an hour ago. No, I wasn't at a rehearsal or anything. I was just at the high school doing teaching stuff and meetings until close to 7pm. I know that teachers put in a lot of hours "outside the classroom" but I didn't think I would be doing all that from inside my classroom until almost sun down.

My classroom... it's still such a crazy concept. I mean, I know that I have been teaching (or at least trying to) for about 5 years now, but it's still so exciting to say MY classroom. It's not perfect. I actually have a million things I want to change, but this is at least a starting point. It's only the 3rd week of the school year, but it really feels like it's just flying by. It's actually quite overwhelming.

So, I got this job at Edgewood High School in West Covina. It was actually my 3rd interview for the school. For whatever reason they didn't pick me after the 2nd round. I got the rejection letter and was bummed but not too surprised because it is an IB school (very goal oriented, high achieving, etc.) and I have gotten a million rejects this summer, so what's another one? The next day I see the job posted again. WTF?! So more so out of spite and frustration I figured "fuck it!" and applied again. I honestly thought I wouldn't get another interview because they'd recognize my name and not want to see me again. My mistake! I got called a few days later. I interviewed Thursday (going straight to another interview and then to rehearsal), I got a call from one of my references later that night telling me they had called him. So I was hopeful. Next morning I literally woke up to one of the best phone calls ever, telling me that they wanted to hire me but it wouldn't be official until HR called later that day. I was jumping up and down. I called Jon and told him (even though it was 7:30am and he had only gone to sleep an hour before). Monday I started staff development, Tuesday I signed my contract, Wednesday was the first day of school. Talk about quick! But hey, after coming in part way through the semester last year, this was a blessing.

I'm crazy stressed out and don't feel super confident, but I keep reminding myself its early and things will (hopefully?) calm down soon.

It is bittersweet because part of this job was starting a color guard at the school. Right now that's all up in the air (long story), but I really have zero free time for things outside this school. I know I was able to coach and still work last year, but that was only a temporary job. I went into that school year knowing I would not be at Sierra Vista for more than the 2014-2015 school year. So it made sense to not sever ties completely. I don't like uncertainty and if I have one constant, I'm going to hold on to it. I knew that I was going to need something after SV, in case I didn't get a job right away, and Cal was my safety net.

Once I told Nordquist about Edgewood he was so excited for me and was totally understanding that I would be missing band camp. I went to Cal's preview show that Friday at the end of my first week, and they had done so much without me. Stephanie had things (mostly) under control. I ended up going to their rehearsal last Monday since Stephanie couldn't be there. and at the end of the night I asked Doug what kind of commitment was he expecting from me? None. He basically set me free. I have a loyalty to Cal, I always will, and I think he knew that it would never be easy for me to just leave without knowing it was going to be ok. I still plan on going to a show or two. And I definitely want to say goodbye to the kids (I refuse to let myself do to them what Jen did, because I saw how much that hurt them and I don't want to do that), but my time as a color guard coach at California High School had come to an end.

BUT! Exciting things are on the horizon! New job means more moneys! Which means finally moving out of this place! I love my parents, they know I do, but I want to leave the nest. I want to have a place of my own. And really it would be me and Jon. It's still crazy that my parents aren't completely freaking out that we want to move in together, but I think they know this isn't just a fleeting relationship. Plus he's 30 and I'm 28, we can make our own decisions. I mean, it was gonna happen regardless of their blessing, but it's nice to know they're not going to disown me.

Right now we're looking at the San Dimas/Covina/Glendora area. I don't want to live in West Covina because it would be weird to be neighbors with a student. Plus for the time being he works in Ontario and goes to school in Corona. And it's not like we're moving right now (though trust me, I've thought about it). The goal is December. Because I'll have 2 weeks off to move things, and that give Jon time to look for something closer this way and finish a class. But he's still helping his parents out a lot, and if we live together he won't be able to do that (cuz as much as I've joked with him about it, I'm NOT a sugar mama). So while it's not exciting as the recent news that 2 of my favorite people just got engaged, but it's nice to have something to look forward to on the horizon for Jon and I. We basically live together on the weekends, but really living together will be a big step. And December will also be our 2 year anniversary, so perfect timing for a next step in my book.

No comments: